Joint Property Ownership and Land Partitions in North Carolina

The Property Attorneys at High Point, NC based Cecil & Cecil, P.A. can help you with your joint property issues including Land Partitions by Sale Partitions in Kind.

Lawyers for Joint Property Ownership – Land Partition

When Joint property ownership goes awry there are cases when you a Land Partition Property Lawyer to help you divide your property. Typically joint property is achieved through inheritance or when friends or family jointly purchase a vacation home.

A Cecil & Cecil, P.A. lawyer, can help with property disputes in Central  North Carolina taht can be resolved by selling the property and dividing the proceeds equally. If property disputes cannot be amicably achieved, partition proceedings come into play. Land Partitioning is the division of property, real or personal, by owners who jointly own the property. There are two kinds of partition proceedings, partition in kind and partition by sale.

Learn more about Joint Property Ownership and Land Partitions with the legal definitions below. Complete the quick form to the right and we will be in touch.

Land Partitions in North Carolina


Mini-Info. Form

Cecil & Cecil Lawyers in High Point

Our Property Attorneys can set up and execute Partitions in Kind

Partition in kind, also known as “Actual Partition” is the process of physically dividing the property amongst the owners of the property. Our Property Lawyers can resolve land disputes with land partitions that provide for the equitable partition of a property that needs to be sold.

To set up a consultation, complete our CLIENT REVIEW or CALL US for help with a Land Partition.

Land Partitions by Sale

Cecil & Cecil, P.A. attorneys can help clients obtain property appraisals and determine the value of the property to be partitioned in North Carolina. Our property lawyers in High Point will help settle property disputes an if need set up a Land Partition.  If you jointly own property and are considering  a Land Partition sale give us a call to discuss your options.

Business Law Experts Cecil & Cecil

Legal Terms and Definitions and for Land Partitions in North Carolina

Land partition law in North Carolina encompasses a set of legal procedures and principles that govern the division of real property among co-owners. When multiple individuals hold an interest in a piece of land, disagreements may arise regarding the use, management, or disposition of the property.

North Carolina’s law provides mechanisms through which these disputes can be resolved, ensuring that each party receives their equitable share of the property or its value.

Action: A legal proceeding by which one party sues another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or prevention of a wrong.
Co-owner: An individual who holds ownership of a property jointly with one or more parties.

Contingent Future Interest: An interest in real property that will vest in the future upon the occurrence of a specified event.

Cotenancy: The holding of property by two or more individuals together, where each party has an undivided interest in the whole property.

Equitable Proceeding: A court proceeding aimed at achieving fairness and justice, such as by ordering the sale of jointly-owned property and dividing the proceeds among the owners according to their respective interests.
Heirs’ Property: Real estate passed down through family generations without a clear title, often leading to fractional ownership among many descendants.
Judgment: A formal decision made by a court following a lawsuit.

Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship: A form of concurrent ownership where each tenant owns the property equally, and upon the death of one tenant, the surviving tenant(s) automatically inherit the deceased’s share.

Partition: The division of co-owned real property into separate portions representing the interests of the owners. This can be achieved through the physical division of the property or by the sale and division of the proceeds.

Partition by Sale: A type of partition where the court orders the sale of the property and divides the proceeds among the co-owners, typically used when physical division is impractical.

Petition: A formal written request to a court requesting a specific legal action..

Real Property: Land and anything permanently attached to it, such as buildings and improvements.

Reversion: An interest in real property that returns to the original owner or their heirs after the termination of a particular estate granted by the owner.

Special Proceeding: A legal proceeding that follows a different set of procedures, often used for specific types of cases.
Tenancy by the Entireties: A form of joint property ownership available only to married couples, where each spouse has an undivided interest in the property, and the survivor inherits the entire property upon the other’s death.

Tenancy in Common: A form of concurrent ownership where each tenant owns a specific fraction of the property and has the right to transfer their share independently.

Venue: The proper or most convenient location for trial of a case.

Understanding the legalities surrounding land partition in North Carolina is crucial for co-owners of real property, especially in cases where disputes arise regarding the division or sale of property. The legal terms provide a basic understanding of the key concepts involved in land partition actions.

These legal provisions ensure that all parties’ rights are considered and protected during the partition process, whether it involves dividing up the land amongst the co-owners or a sale and distribution of proceeds among the co-owners. For specific legal advice or assistance, consulting with a legal professional experienced in North Carolina real estate law is highly recommended.

The legal definitions provided on this page are for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice. Please consult with a qualified attorney for specific guidance and advice regarding your individual situation.

Contact Us For All  Your Legal Needs

Monday – Friday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday: Closed

Complete and Submit our New Client Information form

Thank you for your interest in Cecil & Cecil, P.A. As a leading law firm in High Point, NC, we’re happy to take on new clients and address their legal needs. Below you can find our New Client Information Form. You can submit the form and download and bring it with you to your first consultation. This will allow us to optimize your time meeting with our attorneys. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

*Completing and submitting this form does not constitute an attorney-client relationship between Cecil & Cecil, P.A., and the user.